Voice on the DM4600

A place to discuss Motorola equipment
m1pac

Voice on the DM4600

Postby m1pac » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I know some of you will have turned the voice off, but me being me ,loaded them on to my puter and did my own voice over in the space provided.
Its just better for me to know what I am on without looking down at the radio when I am driving. eg when I am on TP local S2 TG9 its me that says that.
I would love one of those £400 remote mics but I only had to spend an hour or two doing the voices.

Has anyone else done this ?
To be a professional Amateur

HAMdmr.co.uk

Re: Voice on the DM4600

Postby HAMdmr.co.uk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I know a couple of people have tried it.

Maybe you could upload your voice files for people to use? Only if you wanted to of course

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:15 pm

If someone wants to do some voices for stuff maybe we could look at adding them into a sticky topic on the codeplug page or even a subforum for them if there is enough interest, iv not had a play with doing the voices yet so not sure what it entails but I will be hopefully adding a DM4600 to the growing DMR fleet here soon and its prob going to be something id be interested in playing with.

What is involved on doing the voices on them ??????

Paul

Peterxrm
Call Sign: G0AFN

Postby Peterxrm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:18 pm

It's easy to do voices but adding them to the motorola file is the problem I am having problems with. From experience using VoIP on echolink its best to use an 8 bit voice such as one refered to as "Norman" to use via the radio .

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Peter is just case of linking to a wav file or something ????

Peterxrm

Postby Peterxrm » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:07 pm

What I have found us that the only file recognised by the 4600 is the language file with dedicated motorola wording. I cannot import my files into the existing file allowing me to add them into the radio.
Peter

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:46 pm

What software do you use to record the voice files then or how do you record them.

As I say nothing iv ever tried and would like to add a twist to my own DM4600 down the line well once iv grabbed it in april from Adam

Could you give us an idots guide to it :lol:

Peterxrm

Postby Peterxrm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 pm

To cope with my needs I use a VoIP piece of software called next up talker from the U.S. it can connect to a land line and I have text to speech. There are many voices that are available and the written text can saved to a file as whatever I choose to save it as. I can intermix voices on announcements etc. however as said its then placing the relevant bit of speech into the motorola file, which are also on the sl1600/4010 also. MS windows gave a basic wav. That. Could suffice for basic work

Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

Postby Tone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:48 pm

I've dabbled with voices on my DM4601. I found it a little bit troublesome in some respects, but I was very interested in it as my eyesight is failing me as I approach middle age. The troubles I had were that it wasn't particularly easy coordinating the sound files with the codeplug. Just a few hundred voice announcements at normal bitrate exhausted the allocated flash area, and probably most importantly, assigning voice announcements makes navigating functions sluggish.
I'm hoping someone can tell me that I was doing it all wrong and that there is a work around for all or some of the above issues

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Not really had a chance to play with them yet, all iv done is activate them in the CPS and load a couple upto the radio for things like Hi/Lo power and thats about it really.

With all the FM boxes and then the zones and sub chs I can see there being allot of recording to do if you were doing each and every slot but hats of to doing it especially if its going to make your life easier down the line.

I was going to try and have a play and get some comical voices on there like Jeromey Clarckson shouting POWERRRRRRR when you hit high power but then im a bit strange like that lol

Return to “Motorola General Dissucsion”