Voice on the DM4600

A place to discuss Motorola equipment
Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

Re: Voice on the DM4600

Postby Tone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I found a text to voice app which was really useful in creating sequential audio files and generation appropriate file names. In the attached file, I generated announcements indicating colour and slot combinations, as well as rationalising the channel numbering files,
zonetone.7z
Channels, Colours and Slots
(3.52 MiB) Downloaded 141 times

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Nice one tone will give it a look in a bit

Peterxrm
Call Sign: G0AFN

Postby Peterxrm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm

As said before, it's no problem making voices from text to speech into the format that the 4600 uses,.wav, in any quirky voice but it's actually inputting them onto the radio is the stumbling block. I contacted motorola as one of their web pages talked about voices but the response I received from Motorola was contact your dealer! So much for motorola support and if any dealers of Motorola read this forum perhaps they then could do what Motorola says do and help us. :D

Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Postby Ruyton » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Putting the voices into the DM4600 is't difficult and the help file covers it in detail. This is what I did:

- My CPS installation came with voice files that after install were in /Program Files/Motorola/MOTOROLA CPS/voiceannouncement

- I also created my own files to test and loaded these into the above directory. I can't remember the spec of the wav files now, but I did find this somewhere and converted mine to that format.

- In the CPS select 'Announcement' in the left hand menu.

- Change 'Announcement Type' from 'None' to 'Voice Announcement Files'

- Now it's possible to select an announcement for each of the settings - i.e. High Power set to 'high_power.mva' using the drop down box

- With the DM4600 connected to the PC, select Device > 'Manage Voice Announcement' from the menu bar at the top of the CPS.

- You will now see a new 'Manage Voice Announcement' window with all the sound files on the PC listed on the left and all those in the radio listed on the right - empty if none have been transferred to the radio.

- Select the files you want to send to the radio - in our example 'high_power.mva' and click on the 'Load to Radio' button at the bottom left of the window.

- Save the code plug and write it to the radio and now when you press the 'High Power' button on the radio (if you have one programmed) then when you switch from low to high power you will get the announcement.

I don't think that I'm missed anything here, so give it a go.
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

Return to “Motorola General Dissucsion”