Motorola Roaming

A place to discuss Motorola equipment
Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Re: Motorola Roaming

Postby Ruyton » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Whoops, sorry Martin :oops:

I was sure I'd looked you up on QRZ.com but I now see your name in your user profile :D

I usually call everybody 'Dave' - apologies to 'Fools and Horses'
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

grahamp
Call Sign: G7NEH

Postby grahamp » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Gary,
Many thanks for posting this, it has filled in a few large gaps I had on my understanding or regional and roaming now I need to sit down with the CPS and put it into practice.

Graham G7NEH
Chester

gw1syg

Postby gw1syg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Interesting to read the comments re Roaming

there is Passive and active Roaming

Where there is a let down is a number of Repeater Keepers and Users do not understand the subject and give bad advice
we are Lucky that in the North West GB7HM , GB7PN , GB7LP , GB7NM and GB7MB all beacon to aid Roaming of User Radios

where people are going wrong is for this to work best a correct RSSI level needs to be set on the Repeater
and also within the User radio to make sure the radios do aquire a new repeater at the correct level and not hold on
till complete signal drop out

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Good point about the RSSI levels Andy, do you have a suggestion for what we should be setting in the radios for the RSSI at all ?

Paul

Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Postby Ruyton » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Andy,

It's good to have comment from somebody who actually understands the whole roaming issue. We the users are just trying to put 2 and 2 together in a desperate attempt to make 4 :D

Most people seem to talk about roaming when that are actually describing regional or linked repeaters on TG8. I started this thread in the hope that somebody would pick holes in my assumptions so that we can all learn.

The major problem with my assumptions is that they are theory based rather than being based on field tests so I'm not really speaking from a position of authority :oops:

Still learning, but then that's all part of the fun!
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

Return to “Motorola General Dissucsion”