BL-2006 batteries

For discussion of Hytera Radio's
rm05
Call Sign: M2NA

BL-2006 batteries

Postby rm05 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 am

Is anyone else having problems with these li-ion batteries in their PD-785 / 705 radios? They just don't seem to be reliable.

The genuine Hytera battery that came with my used PD-705 from eBay was defective from the start, giving a red blinking light in the charger. I wasn't too pleased that the seller had not been honest about that but put it down to experience and looked online. Wanting a genuine Hytera battery, the only one I could find at a reasonable price (and with good feedback) was on Ali-Express for $32. Upon unpacking I could tell it wasn't genuine however by the lighter weight compared to the original battery. Well, this battery has died after just about 11 weeks of average use, and will not recharge - just a blinking red led. I will not be buying from those Chinese sites again...

I am wondering if it's just bad luck or if the Hytera charger is something to do with this.. To be honest I do not like fancy battery chargers and have never found them to be reliable. I have always found the more complicated they are the less reliable and quicker they kill the batteries. I am not a fan of these battery packs most handhelds use, since buying a non-counterfeit replacement seems to be a very expensive if not impossible task.

Has anyone else had any problems with BL-2006 batteries?

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Re: BL-2006 batteries

Postby g4eml » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 am

A flashing red light on the charger does not always mean the battery is faulty. All it means is that the voltage is outside the normal range. This can happen if the battery has been heavily discharged such as by leaving the radio on accidentally. Li-ion batteries work best if they are topped up regularly and not allowed to go completely flat.

When the charger detects a low voltage battery it tries to trickle change at a very low rate to bring the voltage back into the normal range.

One trick that often works is to remove the battery from the radio and insert it into the charger on its own. This removes any discharge load the radio may be presenting and ensures all of the trickle charge goes into the battery. Sometimes it may be necessary to remove and insert the battery several times in quick succession. Quite often this will result in the charger going solid red and the battery will recover.

This is not unique to Hytera batteries, it is quite common on many radios using Li-Ion batteries.

Having said all that I am sure that there are poor quality non-OEM batteries out there.

rm05

Postby rm05 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply, g4eml. I have already tried all the suggestions for getting the blinking led to go off, with no success. I will try trickle charging the two batteries to see if it is the voltage being too low for the Hytera charger. However I am not sure it will be successful as neither batteries were over-discharged when they died.

I will report back if I have any luck.

g4eml

Postby g4eml » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:21 pm

You should be able to measure the voltage of the battery on the outermost terminals that feed the radio. You can't measure the voltage on the rear charging connections as these are diode protected to only allow current into the battery.

Colin G4EML

rm05

Postby rm05 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks Colin, the battery is reading 0.02 V so I will try to get a trickle charge into it.

rm05

Postby rm05 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Hmm, not sure how I could do this. There are two terminals between the + and - marked T and C. Any ideas what these are for?

Incidentally I have been trying the original genuine Hytera battery which came (dead) with the radio and this is showing 7V but what happens is that each time I try to charge it the red light starts flashing after about 2 minutes. I can take the battery out and replace it again and get another 2 minutes of charge into it, so it does not appear to be caused by a heavily discharged battery.

Could it be the charger is defective? Any thoughts?

g4eml

Postby g4eml » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:10 pm

If the battery starts to charge and then flashes red it could be a faulty charger, but it is more likely the battery is faulty. You should be able to measure the battery voltage while it is charging by measuring on the radio connection terminals (outer of the three small terminals) if the voltage rapidly increases from 7 to 8.4 V then the battery is probably faulty. It should climb slowly.

The T and C terminals on the back of the battery are the temperature measurement and battery type identifiers for the charger.

If you don't have an adjustable power supply or a proper external li-ion charger I would be very carefull trying to charge the battery. Li-ions do have a tendency to explode if charged incorrectly. It is important not to exceed 8.4V for a two cell pack like the one on the Hyteras.

If you do want to try charging from a bench power supply you should set the supply to 8.4 Volts with a current limit of 0.5A and apply it to the two outer terminals. The battery should draw 0.5A and the voltage should gradually rise to 8.4V over a few hours. Once the voltage reaches 8.4V the current will slowly reduce. Don't leave it unattended, as mentioned above Li-ions are nasty things.

Colin.

rm05

Postby rm05 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks Colin, so it's looking in that case like the original battery is defective as its voltage sat in the charger rises upwards from 7 to about 7.3 V in the less-than 2 minutes it is charging before the light starts flashing.

When the second battery is put in the charger (and the light immediately starts flashing as I mentioned), I notice the voltage to shift all over with values between 0 and 12 V. Would this be expected behaviour?

Unfortunately I don't have the gear to try and charge the batteries as you describe, so I look like spending more money on another BL-2006 and hoping I am just unlucky with two defective batteries in such a short space of time.

g4eml

Postby g4eml » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:18 am

It sounds like you are unlucky and both batteries are faulty but in different ways.
The newer one sounds like it has gone open circuit, maybe something has failed mechanically inside. The original one is strange, rising from 7 to 7.3 over a few minutes sounds normal but the charger is obviously not happy about something, maybe the temperature sensor has failed.

I bought my batteries from an eBay seller who was actually a UK radio dealer. They use these for their own hire radios. The prices are higher than the unknown Chineese sources but not as high as the genuine Hytera batteries. I can't remember the user name but you should be able to find them with a bit of searching. Good luck.

dazzerlee1
Call Sign: M6DZA

Postby dazzerlee1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:30 pm

HI Guys I have been reading this with interest as I have a few Hytera PD785G and other Hysteria units with no problems the BL-2006 I have originals and after two charges from new they are very reliable I have obtained a couple of spares from a UK dealer as described on eBay called :
Radioswop.
they are as stated a little more expensive than the Chinese copies but of a much better quality and have proved a useful battery for back up when I have needed them.
I run PD78G PD 375 and other handhelds from Hytera including covert X1P sets for work and an MD785g all I find very reliable kit and build quality I found is very good they are starting to get better at dealing with the Ham guys and public and getting more approachable than Motorola who seem to be going the other way.

Hope my small input helps.

Darren :D :D

Return to “Hytera General Discussion”