Taken the plunge!

This section is for general chat and any off topic posts that dont fit in anywhere else, if we find somewhere they fit better a member of the admin team will move the post for you
Terry - G0XTL
Call Sign: G0XTL

Taken the plunge!

Postby Terry - G0XTL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Finally decided to jump in and buy a radio for DMR. Blimey did it arrive quick :shock: Went for a Tytera 390.
Hopefully, once I have a code plug that includes GB7GF (or program one up) I will be away 8-)
First impression is that it is a fairly solid piece of kit, comes with two antennae, programing cable, charger, earpiece/mic, battery and a manual that actually makes sense - not too much lost in the translation.
Next on the agenda, once programmed and checking if I can reach anything, is a DV Mega to sit on my Raspi so I can definitely reach someone.
Tytera MD390, Raspberry pi and more to follow.....-

Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Re: Taken the plunge!

Postby Ruyton » Sun May 01, 2016 6:23 am

Terry,

Welcome to the world of DMR :D

Another hotspot option you might like to consider is the DV Mega with one of the BlueStack boards. No need for a Raspberry Pi at all and easy to use away from the home. You do need an Android device, phone or tablet, to run the free BlueSpot app, but much simpler to set up than the Rpi.

If you Google for 'BlueSpot DMR' that will start you off.

I'm nothing to do with DV Mega or BlueStack, just a long-time user of the DV Mega on various Rpi's running numerous G4KLX images and recently MMDVMHost. However, my preferred setup now is a cheap Android phone with a data only sim card and a DV Mega/BlueStack Micro Basic board. This setup works both both DMR (Brandmeister) and DSTAR.
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Terry there should be plenty of MD380/390 codeplugs written for the South East that include GF..
DV Mega or whatever on the Raspberry Pi makes a good hotspot around the house.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Sun May 01, 2016 10:06 am

Hello Terry,

If your location is correct on QRZ.com then you might get a better signal from GB7NS than from GF. Either way welcome to DMR.

73 Colin G4EML.

Terry - G0XTL

Postby Terry - G0XTL » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been looking at Bluespot/Bluestack and am signed in on a facebook group.
Already have a Pi so was going to try with that first but might just jump into the Blue :o

Colin: You may be right looking at the coverage map, the whole area is difficult but seem to be able to hit a few when I'm out walking the dogs on the hill tops. Another reason to go Blue, perhaps?

Been searching for codeplugs but the ones that come up on the search seem to be Essex based and don't have GF included :-k will keep looking
Am waiting for the registration code to come through as well - caught me out with the speed of delivery on the radio :oops:

Terry - G0XTL

Postby Terry - G0XTL » Sun May 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Further to the above......
Have downloaded another codeplug and worked out how to program the extra bits I needed (had GB7GF info in the plug but not GB3GF :roll: ) uploaded it to the radio and it all looks good.
Have also had my reg code through so raring to go.

One question though, if I TX on GB3GF's frequency it all appears to work like normal. However, on a digital channel it flashes the red TX led four times and then beeps.Thoughts :? :?

G6ENU
Call Sign: G6ENU

Postby G6ENU » Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Terry - G0XTL wrote:One question though, if I TX on GB3GF's frequency it all appears to work like normal. However, on a digital channel it flashes the red TX led four times and then beeps.Thoughts :? :?

When you try to transmit on a digital repeater channel, the radio initiates a "handshake" with the repeater. If it succeeds, it can then synchronise its time-slots with the repeater's and allow you to transmit. If the handshake fails (repeater out of range, for example) you get the flash and beep to tell you that you didn't make it into the repeater.
Ian
Camberley
Surrey

Terry - G0XTL

Postby Terry - G0XTL » Sun May 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for that Ian, I thought it was something like that.
Proves I cannot get anywhere from the lounge ;)

Terry - G0XTL

Postby Terry - G0XTL » Mon May 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Update:
Been up a local hill and can access GF and NS but found no activity and no response to my calls :roll: only did local- don't want to scare the world at this stage :cry:
Guess everyone is busy down the garden centres

Novice
Call Sign: m6oaf

Postby Novice » Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Did the light on top of the radio go a Green colour when TX? If it did not you may have issues with the code plug/range of repeater, also I think one of the repeaters may have a parrot to test access but I do not have the radio to hand to confirm at the moment. If you need any help please let us know.

Can see you have access from the DMR Live Monitor via Guildford.

Return to “General Chit Chat / Off Topic”