Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

This section is for general chat and any off topic posts that dont fit in anywhere else, if we find somewhere they fit better a member of the admin team will move the post for you
m0jfp
Call Sign: m0jfp

Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Postby m0jfp » Mon May 23, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi All,
I'd like to share that Chertsey Radio Club has been working very hard with a manufacturer in China to produce a hand held DMR radio.
The project name is Trilogy, and we are testing on both Phoenix and BM repeaters over the next couple of weeks.
We have 2 sample models at this time and will be asking for reports on either big radio or small radio (both hand held)

The aim of the project is to produce a decent quality radio, fully programmed for your local repeaters and with your DMR ID.
Updates as the networks change or by request, return back for updates or purchase a programming cable
The radio will arrive to you ready to use.
The cost of the radio shall be as cheap and accessible to all and we aim to get this in under the £100 mark.

Units arrived late last week and we will be testing and updating our page at http://chertseyradioclub.blogspot.co.uk ... age_6.html

Initial reports:
easy to use programming software, audio is as good as Hytera, look and feel of radio is good, screen quality is very clear / easy to read.

If you are interested in helping to test or want to know more please get in contact with me.

Best 73 and thanks for reading

James / M0JFP / WO2I
CRC Trilogy DMR / Easy Access
Trilogy-990
Raspberry Pi-3 with DV4-mini

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Postby Metradio » Mon May 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi James, some specs on the handhelds would be of use..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Mike,

Its early days, the demo models arrived Friday last week and code plugs were written on Monday for our local repeaters.

The radio can take up to 16 zones (digital Repeaters), each with 16 talk groups plus and additional 16 analogue frequencies including repeater, per zones.
The radio is 5 watts out and its frequency range is between 400 and 480 (70cm)
fully compatible with Motorola, Hytera, tyt etc. tested on dv4 mini, gb7hr, gb7ns with no issues.
date and time, UK plug and charger...no adapters. FM radio, DTMF / CTCSS for analogue repeaters.
Usual DMR features Group Calling,General Calling,Individual Calling. text messaging feature
We have the scan option but not the roam.. investigating this.
GPS is an option, but we are not requesting this (keeping expenses down)

big unit has 3000mAh Battery also double dock charger UK mains plug (radio and 1 spare batter..not included at this time)
small unit has 2000mAh Battery also single dock drop in radio.

The programming software is straight forward similar to hytera / tyt.
installing the programming cable and driver was simple on both window 7 and 10.
You can read and write to / from the radio.

Package include:
Radio
1x battery
belt clip
hand strap
rubber duck antenna
docking station
UK 3 pin triangle type plug (earth pin is metal to the end) no rubber sleeves.

I will try and get some pictures out as soon as possible on the trilogy page / club blog.

Let me know if you need anything else.. further in-depth technical testing is coming... getting the scopes out..

James / M0JFP / WO2I
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi again James, does the radio come with a programming lead, how many digital and analogue channels can you program and how many contacts can you program into it?? What type of screen?? Antenna connector??

Mike

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Tue May 24, 2016 2:52 pm

There is no programming cable but we can supply for about 10 quid.
But the project's intention was to do the code plugs and dmr ID config before shipping out.

Its a colour screen, quite bright, I'll ask for the specs from the manufacturer, but better than md-380

Per the link to the blog pages, The antenna socket is a SMA female (hole) antenna will need to be male (pin)

Looks like 64 contacts can be programmed in.

so the code plug shows 16 available zones, I define a zone as a repeater, lets say gb7hr, inside each zone you can configure 16 frequency pairs, with talk group, colour code etc.

However in each zone there is an additional 16 slots available for analogue.

At this time I have 3 main local repeaters programmed up.
I have then added a zone called simplex, in the digital slots are the digital simplex, in the analogue slots I have added 70cm simplex.
You could also add a few analogue repeaters in there too, I have Amersham, its works fine...
There is a key just below screen right hand side press for a few seconds will swap between analogue and digital.

so is 16 zones times 16 dmr and 16 analogue in each

Please do let me know if you need anything else.

testing on phoenix this lunch time we worked wales and Italy on 80 and 1 great results good reports.

Thanks

James.
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Tue May 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi again James, £10 for a programming cable is not too bad, but sending out pre-programmed radios without a programming cable - what happens next week when a nework bod gets the hump and changes the setup or a sysop jumps ship? will you be offering re-programming by return of post??

Screen and antenna socket sound fine, the 64 contacts could be a limitation. the digital and analogue zone setup and switch sounds a bit weird :?:

Hate to burst your bubble but you worked a router at a local repeater - Not Wales and Italy :o

Mike

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Tue May 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi James,

I have to agree with Mike, pre-programmed radios with no cable supplied is not the way to go, I would encourage you to include a cable and software with every radio.

The DMR networks are constantly changing. Being able to re-program your own radio to accommodate these changes is an essential part of this.

Colin G4EML.

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Wed May 25, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Gents,

I am fully aware that i worked a local repeater and that the Internet did the long haul into Wales and Italy, But to my point there was no degradation in quality or packet drops / delays etc.

I take on board the cable and I think these could be shipped as an option for a little extra cost. software can be grabbed from our site easily enough.
I'd be happy to ensure code plugs were available if and when things change on the networks.

The project idea IS to get the radios sent out fully configured with a code plug containing say 3 or 4 of your local repeaters and the simplex channels.
Also if we have your DMR ID we can add that also.. radio arrives ready to go.

We could easily do a return shipping to re-code the radio, if you cover the postage we will do the updates.
I have spoken to a few non technical people and some people with disabilities and they agree this is a reasonable idea to assist.

Let me chat with the manufacturer and see what the additional overhead would be to get cables in every box...versus buy several and hand out as requested.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, please keep it coming however harsh.... we need to look at every angle..not just through our rose tinted glasses ;-)

Best 73

James.
Trilogy-990

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

To field the question on the digital / analogue:

we have 16 zones (repeaters which can be created.

If we open up one zone we are presented with a spreadsheet with 2 tab's (digital and analogue)
each sheet has 16 enteries, can be simplex or repeater with all the usual TG, CC, CTCSS high low power etc etc.
so each zone technically has 32 channels, but only 16 digital / talk groups.

The layout of the hand held is a bit like a mobile phone, similar to the Hytera.

Lets take for example in my code plug at the moment I have a zone called simplex, I have my dv 4 mini and several simplex digital channels. In the analogue I have a few local analogue repeaters and the 70cm simplex analogue channels.

set zone to *simplex* looking at the screen bottom right corner you can see A/D, if you press and hold the top right rubber key for about 10 seconds the digital changes to analogue, and pressed again will return to digital.

So moving between the 2 tabs in the spreadsheet.

I'm hoping this makes sense a bit more.

The screen shows the name of the zone at the bottom, then in the middle the channel name and at the top it say Digital (or analogue) CH (then the channel number) as seen in the spreadsheet.

Digital CH 10
WWUA 129
GB7HR

Analogue CH 1
GB3AU
Simplex

Please let me know if you need anything else at this time?

Best 73

James
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 am

No that's fine James, thanks.. When you get some photos.....
Did you see that Martin Lynch is doing the TYT MD380 for less than £100 ??

Mike

Return to “General Chit Chat / Off Topic”