Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

This section is for general chat and any off topic posts that dont fit in anywhere else, if we find somewhere they fit better a member of the admin team will move the post for you
m0jfp
Call Sign: m0jfp

Re: Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Postby m0jfp » Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes we saw the price drop on the MD-380, the TYT is the de facto standard that we will want to live up to and improve upon. We have a TYT and clone Retrvis and they are a great introduction into DMR and one of the hopes of Trilogy is to improve on the TYT, which is a tough ideal when this is a price sensitive area of the market!
However the positive news I wanted to share back to you that I have been overwhelmed with messages of support and inquiries with our Trilogy project. The tests to date have been positive, we are continuing to soak and field test the radios until we are sure they will meet the correct criteria. I will continue to work with the manufacturer in China to get prices down and of course will aim to sell here in the UK at as close to cost as possible and we will continue to give updates as we progress.
If you were in the market for TYT or a clone there are lots of seller's and we have seen them as low as £87.64 delivered from the UK http://r.ebay.com/jpIrw4 so if this the radio you are after then you could easily save more as the radio from that supplier is just shy of £111 delivered. (we have no connection with this supplier but is just here for price reference)

To re-state that project Trilogy aims to achieve the following
1: Low cost good quality radio
2: programming and ID ready to use when delivered
3: Continued support and re-programming as needed via code plug updates or pay for return mail and we will update for free.

Let me know if you have question or need anything else.
Yes photographs will be out after the field testing has finished...... we have to keep some mystery :ugeek:

Best 73

James.
CRC Trilogy DMR / Easy Access
Trilogy-990
Raspberry Pi-3 with DV4-mini

Tyrbiter
Call Sign: G8SEZ

Postby Tyrbiter » Wed May 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Lynchy must have a load of those to shift now that the MD-390 is the current model ;)
Brian

Novice
Call Sign: m6oaf

Postby Novice » Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Tyrbiter wrote:Lynchy must have a load of those to shift now that the MD-390 is the current model ;)

The MD-390 I understood has GPS (not used on Phoenix or Brandmeister as I was aware)and also is IP67 so it is dust and water resistant if I remember the ratings and they are the same as I recall :?: If there are end of line then deals can be had on 380, take them I say if you have the requirement.

I do feel sorry for the people especially a friends dad 2 weeks ago paid £150 for his and was not told that the price was about to change but that is not how business works.

Tyrbiter
Call Sign: G8SEZ

Postby Tyrbiter » Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Novice wrote:
Tyrbiter wrote:Lynchy must have a load of those to shift now that the MD-390 is the current model ;)

The MD-390 I understood has GPS (not used on Phoenix or Brandmeister as I was aware)and also is IP67 so it is dust and water resistant if I remember the ratings and they are the same as I recall :?: If there are end of line then deals can be had on 380, take them I say if you have the requirement.

I do feel sorry for the people especially a friends dad 2 weeks ago paid £150 for his and was not told that the price was about to change but that is not how business works.

Yes, it is the way things work but a bit of detective work would have revealed the price drops on eBay.

I have an MD-390, cost me £124 via eBay, and it doesn't have GPS (it's an option apparently). Works very well, but note that the IP67 casing means that the battery is totally different as is the charging stand. Battery is 2.2Ah though, so 10% higher capacity.

One thing that is nice is that the knobs have very visible white markings so you can be sure what they are set to even in very low light. It also puts out 5W on high power, my MD-380 is more like 4W although it's only a dB or so difference. The short antenna is different too, slightly longer. The longer antenna is a much longer whip, it's more like a half wave, it may have a transformer feed in the base. Only really worth it in very marginal areas but the fact that they supply all these accessories is good for the price charged.
Brian

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Wed May 25, 2016 4:55 pm

m0jfp wrote:Hi Mike
Thanks for the feedback.......... we have to keep some mystery.

No problem James, the topic seems to have drummed up some interest for the radio..
I have no need for another radio, but it is good to see small groups getting involved in making their own bespoke radios..
As and when with the pictures.. ;)

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

FredG8
Call Sign: g8xxx

Postby FredG8 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:12 am

I was looking through June RADCOM, it would seem the price drop was a knee jerk reaction, and not planned in advance?

FredG8
Call Sign: g8xxx

Postby FredG8 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am

Also did anyone see this update on the Chertsey club's web page? seems they have shared a picture of the radio they are using

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:11 pm

FredG8 wrote:I was looking through June RADCOM, it would seem the price drop was a knee jerk reaction, and not planned in advance?...

As far as I know the magazine publishers have a lead time for advertising of about 8 weeks, so it is difficult for advertisers to plan price changes on future sales that far in advance.... Or it could be Lynchie is crapping himself over the immenent release of the CRC DMR handheld.. :lol:

Mike

m0jfp
Call Sign: m0jfp

New customised programming software arrived this morning

Postby m0jfp » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Our heavily customised version of the dmr radio programming software was released this morning.
Geared towards Ham radio and full of useful hints and tips along the way.

We are working on the user manuals this week and will share out once done.

Here is a screen shot of the boot screen

CRC Trilogy DMR / Easy Access
Trilogy-990
Raspberry Pi-3 with DV4-mini

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Looks like you have got NEVADA worried as well, they have dropped the MD-380 price to £99.95 + 5.95pp..

Some close up photos would be nice..
I note from the CRC web site that the radio will be supplied programmed with One local repeater and DMR ID preprogrammed, is that it ??

Mike

Return to “General Chit Chat / Off Topic”