Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

This section is for general chat and any off topic posts that dont fit in anywhere else, if we find somewhere they fit better a member of the admin team will move the post for you
FredG8
Call Sign: g8xxx

Re: Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Postby FredG8 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

I saw this link: http://www.codeit365.com/#!pricing/ozu4s

and had to share...

the Kydera 990 on ebay sold for £189 in December : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYDERA-DM-990 ... 1808274098

the kydera 850 is £150 here: http://lesswires.co.uk/dmr-by-kydera-46-c.asp (cable separate at £10)

Lynchy as you say is £99.95 + £10.95 postage, no cable and no programming: http://www.hamradio.co.uk/dmr-tyt/tyter ... d-6405.php

Makes this project trying to keep under £100 including a cable all the more interesting.. good luck with that...Lets see what they can pull out of the hat once VAT and postage hots them... :lol:

m0jfp
Call Sign: m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi Mike,

We are not working for a dealer as for them we would assume it not be cost efficient for them to develop test a range of radios and then sell them on at cost price.
The advantage that dealer has over our club is VAT, they can reclaim the VAT when importing good's and then when the customer purchases one they pay the VAT.
As a club we have to pass these cost's on directly which adds to the cost of these radios.
The other advantage is that of scale, larger retailers buy bigger volumes and as such can take advantages of economies of scale.
As a club we using our own pooled funds, we do not have lower courier and packaging costs that large retailers enjoy.

The manufactures we are working with have given us a very large amount of support, they have, as seen, run tests for spectral purity, they have allowed us to have customised firmware, they have worked with us and helped us help them with respect to problem and in-turn solutions.

This manufacturer has been established for over 10 years and they intended to support these radios for a reasonable duration of time. As they comply with the DMR standard they should continue to work for a reasonable lifetime of the unit.

Design circuits I can imagine would be the manufacturers intellectual property so I would not have thought they would be released as they could be copied/duplicated.

I am not saying I would turn away a retailer, but that is not a route we have considered at this stage.

As I said before we welcome your questions

Cheers

James.
CRC Trilogy DMR / Easy Access
Trilogy-990
Raspberry Pi-3 with DV4-mini

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:10 pm

FredG8 wrote:....Lynchy as you say is £99.95 + £10.95 postage, no cable and no programming: http://www.hamradio.co.uk/dmr-tyt/tyter ... 6405.php...

I am sure when Lynchy dropped the price to £99-95 the MD-380 came with a programming cable, but as you say there is no mention of it now (I have asked the question of them).. Be aware when they first dropped the price it was with free shipping - that was quickly pulled.. So I am wondering if the programming cable went the same way :?:

***** UPDATE ***** It does come with a programming cable..

The Kydera guy in Southy Yorks suddenly gave up selling the radios last year, no idea why..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 pm

m0jfp wrote:Hi Mike,
We are not working for a dealer as for them we would assume it not be cost efficient for them to develop test a range of radios and then sell them on at cost price....

Hi James, I understand that no dealers are involved in the club produced radios, but to your prospective buyers you are the dealer.. And as such you fall under the sale of goods act. Any failures/faults in the equipment and you either have to eat the loss or have a very good relationship with the manufacturer regarding replacements. This where others have come unstuck, it is reckoned that 10% of all low cost radios from China fail within the warranty period (Jerry Wanger of Connect Systems commenting on the MD-380), of which the manufacturer will for various reasons will try to prevent any warranty faults/failures being returned to them. A good example is an ex Wouxun dealer in the US: http://www.wouxun.us/Good-Bye-Wouxun/Go ... ouxun.html

I am not trying to throw cold water on your club project James, but when someones radio developes a fault YOU are expected to sort it out, it matters not that you sold the radio at cost price, you become the villain in the deal through no fault of your own and you are relying on the manufacturer to do the right thing.

Anyway on a good note, I hope all goes well and you have happy customers with some decent radios..

Mike

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 am

Hi Mike,

Appreciating your feedback and comments as these are really constructive and making sure we have covered every eventuality.
I would hope that if any issues do develop we can resolve them as quickly as possible, just get in contact / talk to us.

We hold stock and for exchange and warranty purposes. If faults that develop through normal use then we will exchange the units on a like for like basis. After the fault has been checked, if the unit has been seen to be subject to damage by impact or water then you will not be covered.
The radio is has 12 months from the point of sale and the battery, charger, programming cable and antenna has 6 months
The return shipping of the faulty unit is the responsibility of the customer.

You may also be interested to know that the programming software was released along with the USB drivers today and can be downloaded from the blog page.

Cheers

James.
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:14 am

m0jfp wrote:....You may also be interested to know that the programming software was released along with the USB drivers today and can be downloaded from the blog page.

Hi James, you might ask the manufacturer to take a leaf out of Motorola's book and have the CPS switchable between Beginner and Advanced user modes, with the beginner/basic mode having only the essential functions available.
It appears the CPS is the manufacturers standard CPS rebadged with the on screen help edited and corrected from the normal Chinglish, but still a trap for the new user. I note the full help file is missing...

Mike

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for downloading and testing out the software.
I am glad that it installed and worked on your machine, proving that it works in the wild so to speak.

As the original purpose in the posts above and in the project scope, the whole idea is that we take on the complexity of programming and supplying the radio ready to use. Of course if the user wants to make use of the programming cable and software it will be at his own risk / enjoyment.

I would strongly suggest that a new user would take advantage of our pre-programmed radio and then work with us, his club or another more experienced DMR Ham to assist him.

We will be creating install guides and videos in the coming weeks and hope that this will make things as easy as possible to use.

We can field any questions or issues via the forum or e-mail once the radio's start shipping.

Cheers

James.
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:20 pm

To be honest James I can see why you would want to present a programmed and working radio to the customer - charge, switch on and use. The CPS is one of a kind, it is like no other make of DMR CPS that I have seen, this limits who can advise on CPS changes to users of the same radio. The problem can arise if a DMR repeater appears on the air in record time, for instance in North London, local users to it would have the choice of returning to you for a re-program or a quick DIY to get on the air and use it.. A good proportion of hams hate spending money on postage plus they want the re-program done yesterday, this means the DIY route for many.. This brings up the problem of the new user having only operating experience with no idea of the programming (they only drive them - not fix them) going for the cheap fast fix..

Mike

m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi Mike,

From what I have seen all the CPS are a little different, but the core components of: DMR ID, contacts and zones / repeaters is pretty much the same.

As you have proven the installation of the software is simple enough to do.
The additional install of the USB drivers, should also be hassle free.

Once the CPS and driver is installed, all a user would have to do at this point would be download his custom code plug from us (or we e-mail it to him) and he clicks open, selects the file and then write. Its done quickly and simply. Just as some of the bigger shops do.

We will keep copies of everyone's unique code plug, and we can add and change as needed over time, either taking the radio back, or just sending the code plug out.

The installation videos and tutorials will give a user a good idea of how to use the CPS and they can makes changes to the code plug if required, In the unlikely event that a problem accessing a local repeater occurs we will encourage the user to contact us and we will assist as required.

I am sure just like the help for other radio's, geographic location will not restrict fellow DMR users form helping each other out and sharing code plugs between each other.

Cheers

James.
Trilogy-990

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm

m0jfp wrote:Hi Mike,

From what I have seen all the CPS are a little different, but the core components of: DMR ID, contacts and zones / repeaters is pretty much the same...

The main difference with this one looks like the terminology and CPS page layouts...
Maybe supplying downloadable codeplugs is the way to go, I take you will be in charge of keeping the codeplug copies ?

One thing that springs to mind, you are the only member of your club that I have heard promoting the club radios.. They have not plonked it all in your lap have they :?:

Mike

Return to “General Chit Chat / Off Topic”