TG8 Roaming - Code Plug Error

For discussion of Connect Systems Radio's
Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Re: TG8 Roaming - Code Plug Error

Postby Ruyton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Neil,

The DMR-MARC network has evolved a great deal since my post waaay back in Jan 2015 :)

Therefore you can rest assured that when I wrote the details of my codeplug, it did reflect the state of the TG's and TS's at the time. However, things have moved on .........
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

sierra_za
Call Sign: ----

Postby sierra_za » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Agreed. A year ago the south had 2 repeaters (GB7CT & GB7NS) and now including applications there could be around 20 which is a bit of a pain as the Motorola CPS roaming setup only caters for around 15 repeaters. Maybe the London / SE England group will be changed.

G0APM
Call Sign: G0APM

Postby G0APM » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:10 am

Perhaps I'm wrong . .

I'm under the impression that the only radios that actually support real "roaming" is Motorola.
Please tell me if this is incorrect.

Certainly my DP4600 and DM4600 will pick up any TG8 S2 repeater in range when I TX as long as it's tuned to a TG8 S2
repeater (that's in the roaming list). No need to re-tune at all, just QSY's automatically.

My TYT and Hytera stuff doesn't do that.

sierra_za

Postby sierra_za » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:09 pm

The Motorola CPS has a roam function for around 15 repeaters - not sure if it only works on specific Motorola's. You add in the TG8's from the relevant repeaters and it will move you to a stronger repeater when your signal drops below a set threshold (like when your mobile swops mast). I don't recall seeing this function on the Connect Systems CPS and I've not owned any other radios to advise.

G0APM
Call Sign: G0APM

Postby G0APM » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I don't think the CPS software has anything to do with roaming apart from its programming features.
This is a function of the radios themselves. I can't be certain which Motorola models support this feature.

Otherwise there is a limit of 15 'roaming' entries within a roaming list for these devices

But.. Roaming is not limited to TG8. There would be not reason why, say, TG235 could not be within
a roaming feature.

The 'generic' term for roaming TG8 might be a misnomer unless the hardware actually supports this
function.

My original question question asks if only Motorola product support this feature.

Neil
Call Sign: M0NFI

Postby Neil » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Lucky for us that Ofcom changed our licences removing the requirement to identify ourselves whenever we change frequency or each time the radio decided to use a different repeater we would be in breach of our licence terms.

sierra_za

Postby sierra_za » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am

From what I have seen and heard, yes only Motorola have a true Roaming feature. Others have found a way around this by putting TG8 into a scan list so your radio picks up the best signal and set it so you will transmit on the repeater you pick up. Not sure about TG235 - guess it would work in the "scan list" system but not sure if it would be the same in the Motorola roam function.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:34 pm

AFAIK the Roaming is achieved on non Motorola DMR radios by scanning TG8 on all the repeaters in your local area/region, setting the call back channel to 'Last Landed' and setting the 'resume scan' for a fairly short time. In action your radio will stop on an active channel, if you wish to talk you TX and you will talk on the last landed (last active) channel, if you loose coverage on RX the radio will scan and stop on the first active repeater with TG8 in the scan list. The only real drawback is to initiate a call you might need to manualy select a repeater channel (Zone) in the scan list.

Mike G7HID
Slough UK
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Roaming is supported on Motorola and Hytera radios. (And possibly other 'full spec' DMR radios) It is not currently supported by the low cost radios.

Roaming is a radio implemented function that can be set up on any Talkgroup. All it does is search through the roam list until it finds a repeater that is strong enough to use. (it doesn't actually find the strongest signal as some people have said) it then stays with that repeater until the signal falls below the RSSI threshold. It then searches again for another usable signal. It can be used on any Talkgroup. On my radios I have 'Roam Regional' 'Roam UK' 'Roam Europe' 'Roam WW' and even 'Roam Local', they all work. 'Roam Local' automatically finds a repeater for a local TG9 QSO but obviously you can't continue your conversation if it roams to another repeater so it is of limited use.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm

When in Roam do as the Roamans ;)
For roaming on Motorola radios the mobiles rely on the repeaters sending out a beacon at regular intervals, that way you can initiate a call on a roaming channel automaticaly because the mobile knows what repeater(s) is within range.

Mike G7HID
Slough UK
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Return to “Connect Systems”