Network & talkgroup priorities

General information about DMR-MARC
g6fgy
Call Sign: G6FGY

Network & talkgroup priorities

Postby g6fgy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi,

When using TG9 local slot2 on a repeater, I'm aware that the qso remains 'local' ie within the catchment area of the repeater and isn't transmitted via the network.

The query I have is, that when I drop carrier, is there any priority order given to network traffic or TG's that may also be using slot 2 at that time. For example, does incoming traffic on TG8 Regional/Roam have priority over TG235 UK wide, or does the repeater just see it all bundled together as network traffic and relay it to the output irrespective of its origin?

Curious minds and all that :)

Eric - G6FGY

Ruyton
Call Sign: G0DNI

Re: Network & talkgroup priorities

Postby Ruyton » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:15 am

Eric,

As I understand it, the repeater has a 'hang time' (2 or 3 seconds?) where it keeps transmitting on the last used TG/TS - watch the signal strength indicator on the rig, it keeps showing a signal after the last user stops transmitting. If somebody else transmits within this hang time, then they keep the TG/TS. If there is no transmission within this hang time, then it's first come first served on that TS.

So, if you are having a QSO on TG9 TS2 then nobody else on that repeater can use TG8 or TG235 on TS2.

However, my question is - if you are having a Local QSO on TG9 TS2 so only using the one repeater, what happens when somebody somewhere else in the country starts a QSO on UK Wide TG235 TS2. Does this QSO carry on with all the other UK repeaters except yours, leaving you to carry on on TG9?

Going back to your question Eric, you might be asking what happens in the above case - You are on Local TG9 but there is already a conversation going on on TG235 on the 'other' repeaters, when you drop TX and there is no reply within the repeater hang time, do you 'loose' TG9 to TG235. In that case, I don't know the answer.
Gary
G0DNI
Shrewbury UK

g6fgy
Call Sign: G6FGY

Postby g6fgy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 am

Hi Gary,
Ruyton wrote:......
However, my question is - if you are having a Local QSO on TG9 TS2 so only using the one repeater, what happens when somebody somewhere else in the country starts a QSO on UK Wide TG235 TS2. Does this QSO carry on with all the other UK repeaters except yours, leaving you to carry on on TG9?

Yes it does. Once you establish a 'TG9 local' qso, network traffic (as I understand it) is effectively disabled on your repeater and only re-enabled once the local incoming carrier drops.
Ruyton wrote:......
Going back to your question Eric, you might be asking what happens in the above case - You are on Local TG9 but there is already a conversation going on on TG235 on the 'other' repeaters, when you drop TX and there is no reply within the repeater hang time, do you 'loose' TG9 to TG235. In that case, I don't know the answer.

In general, I'm aware that if a conversation is active on TG235 or TG8, and the repeater (in theory) drops after the hang time, that re-access to TG9 is effectively blocked due to TS2 being in use by the network traffic. It's happened to me on the odd occasion during busy periods, where I've had to wait for a break in the network qso before regaining access to continue with my local one.

I think that by writing out the question on the forum, I've provided the answer myself <smile>.

What I was initially looking for was if one networked TG took priority over the other when TG9 local dropped out. I.E. if there was traffic on TG8 (regional/roaming) would that have priority if there was also traffic on TG235 at the same time. Having posed the question, and thought about it some more, I suppose that wherever the incoming network traffic is originating from, it is of little consequence to the repeater logic and just gets relayed to the output.

Eric - G6FGY

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Eric,

Interesting question regarding priority. I would hope that in the case you describe that TG8 would appear on your repeater when the local QSO finished. Otherwise the regional grouping would be wrong with most members relaying TG8 and one member relaying TG235. Once the TG8 QSO finished then they should all start to relay TG235.

It would be a tricky one to test out but not impossible. You would have to start a TG9 QSO on one repeater then start a TG8 QSO on another repeater in the region then start a TG 235 QSO on a repeater outside the region. The first two could be done with two rigs but starting a TG235 QSO outside the region would need outside assistance. Unless there was a long TG235 QSO already in progress with long enough gaps.

I think maybe the best thing is just to keep monitoring and see if this situation ever occurs.

73 Colin G4EML

Return to “General Information”