Repeater site

General information about DMR-MARC
G7UFJ
Call Sign: Martin

Repeater site

Postby G7UFJ » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:46 pm

If I was wanting to get a repeater on air how would I go about finding a site? What rough cost would I be looking at for site rent with power and Internet access. ( I realise that will vary depending on many things)
CS701
PD365
SL4000
MTH800

HAMdmr.co.uk

Re: Repeater site

Postby HAMdmr.co.uk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:49 pm

It varies a lot.

Average cost of a decent site in the north is £1000-£1500 p/a

Internet access is more, but you can just use a 3g/4g dongle

G7UFJ
Call Sign: Martin

Postby G7UFJ » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Ok but how to find available sites?
CS701
PD365
SL4000
MTH800

Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

Postby Tone » Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 pm

The cheapest way of doing it Martin is to establish a repeater in your own home. It's becoming a more attractive option recently as site costs are soaring and power and IP connection are already in place. Not everybody has an ideal location though I appreciate and in some cases it is impossible to put up an external aerial. However, the nature of DMR means that even if you fill in a few dozen square kilometres, it could potentially fill in a null spot and by the very nature of its limited coverage, frequency re-usability is imminently possible.
In looking for a wide area site, it's really a matter of considering where you intend to cover, and focus on high points with a good view of that area. Farms on hilltop sites tend to be a cheaper option than existing tower and tower block sites. Farmers tend to be well disposed to earning a much needed bit of extra income, but you may need to be prepared to build a secure dry cabinet and put up a mast.

G7RZU
Call Sign: G7RZU

Postby G7RZU » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 am

Tone,

I am considering exactly that. I'm not too far away from you and in fact we've met before. I would welcome the chance to chat with you about this at some time in the future, particularly around costs of getting a repeater up at my QTH.

I'll try and give you a call, when I've got this MD380 programmed ;-)

Simon - G7RZU

Return to “General Information”