Time solt 1 becumes UA only

General information about DMR-MARC
Pete_uk
Call Sign: M0IND

Time solt 1 becumes UA only

Postby Pete_uk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Lots of feathers flying with the news that as of this Monday 8/2/16 all talk groups including the UK calling 235 will become user activated only. :o

Lots of people asking how they are going to 'call CQ' now that 235 will only be activated by users. Some of those 'in charge' say use whatever messaging service DMR uses...

Those on the Facebook group would be aware of the monocles that haven fallen out of the eyes of many. :shock:

Whats your thoughts? :?

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: Time solt 1 becumes UA only

Postby Metradio » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Phoenix V MARC.JPG
Phoenix V MARC.JPG (48.49 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Personally think they need to rethink some of the changes. I can see why TG235 was made a calling ch and introducing TG80/81 and to me it makes sense and can live with that.

After all the shouting about using it as a calling ch the new change just makes a mockery of it all. We are all now going to be fighting over activating the local repeater. Not to mention when driving you have to remember to start keying up etc.

I think whoever came up with the idea of making calling channels user activated needs a reality check. I can sort of see where they where aiming to go with it but in practice don't think it will work.

Guess we will wait and see how it pans out but I don't think it will end in a good way myself

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Here is a copy of a draft letter passed on to me, I edited my copy slightly and sent it to the CC-3 admin.
Please feel free if you would like to make use of it..

Mike
To: website@cc-3.net
To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing to urge you to go back on your decision to make all TGs on TS1 User Activated, and keep thing the way they are.
As a user of DMR for coming up to a year I have seen the network evolve and change and until now have agreed with all changes as they were implemented, and more importantly understood the thinking behind those changes.
However the latest change to make TS1 a UA system is one I cannot agree with and believe it to be damaging to the network and all it’s users.
I am not someone who regularly calls CQ on TG1, 13 or 235 but frequently reply to such calls and then request to move to a UA TG. I cannot envisage having to key up my local repeater (GB7BK) every ten minutes to do this. And even then only be able to receive one talk group.
One comment I have heard is that I should be making CQ calls more often rather than just replying to others who make calls, which is a fair point. However I now cannot see much point in doing this if the UK won’t be able to hear these such calls?
What I would like from the admin team at this time is answers to the following questions:
1) Why have these changes been suggested and authorised to be implemented with no consultation with the end users?
2) Can repeater be excluded from these changes upon request of the keeper?
and
3) What advantage can cc-3.net/Phoenix see in these changes?
I look forward to your swift reply,
Yours Sincerely,

Pete_uk
Call Sign: M0IND

Postby Pete_uk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:41 am

Pitchforks down guys, its been cancelled.

Put the kettle on :D

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 am

Copy of the reply I received:

To: mike@metradio.co.uk

Hi,

Thank you for your email about the changes which were announced yesterday. Below is a statement which was issued on the CC-3 Facebook group page this morning. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input into decision which was made yesterday to make all Talk groups on slot 1 UA. This was due to the continued abuse of certain talk groups which resulted in the blocking of slot 1 on every UK repeater. The feedback was overwhelming that users did not want to see this happen. These view points have been listened to and the changes to Slot 1 have been cancelled. This however does not address the root cause of why this was first announced. I have started a conversation with the repeater keepers about how we should move forward. Even if this means do nothing. I would urge people to make contact with their local keeper to express their views as users. This is to make sure your voice is heard directly by the person who is providing you the service locally and ultimately has the say as to what happens. If you have any issues finding contact information for your local keeper please contact me directly at m0pfx@cc-3.net and I will get you in touch with them.

Kind Regards,

Paul M0PFX

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Without going into politics id call this a win for the users.

I personally do not see how a user activated calling channel can work but then im just a lonely 2E0 with a corn flake packet licence so what would I know :lol:

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:22 pm

A loss of face for the 'management' 8-)
DMR being quite new, regardless of licence class we are all on a level playing field..

Mike

A_Bridge_Too_Far_1977.jpg
A_Bridge_Too_Far_1977.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I agree Mike, I think knowing and understanding what DMR is and what it was designed to do. I think what we have is a good acheivment but there are people out there that don't know and understand how far we have bent it and don't appreciate how to work with what we have to get the best out of it.

I think the current system we have in place is fine as it is. I think personally we will need a couple more UA TG's down the line but that can be done as and when its needed if we keep the basics as it is then I think it will move forward quite nicely.

Anyway heres to enjoying what we have :)

By the way the bit about the licence was tounge in cheek, it was said to me the other week by an older ham who thought that the modern system was a bit easy. I did find it comical though that it was overheard and was told that in a previous club meet they had done the foundation and inter and full mock exams and he failed them all :)

Metradio

Postby Metradio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Paul-2E0SQK wrote:Anyway heres to enjoying what we have :)

yes...

I had the same thing when I got my ticket, second class because I had not done the morse :D

Mike

Return to “General Information”