DMR in my Land Rover Freelander 2

If you pictures of your mobile set post them up here
G8NRC

DMR in my Land Rover Freelander 2

Postby G8NRC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:17 pm

The Freelander 2 is a big motor but there is no space near the drivers area to fit a DMR radio that makes it easily accessible.
Down the sides of the seat is no good and so after much deliberation I decided to pull the dash top speaker grill off and underneath are ideal fastenings to fit the DM4600 mounting bracket on the dashboard. I quick jig saw job on the speaker grill and it fits round the radio.
Its all secure and not likely to "pass anyone" in the event of an accident.

Hands free Motorola microphone fitted above the drivers visor hence no microphone on the radio and a PTT button in the roof console. The accessory connector also has a USB lead wired into the glove box to reprogram code plugs without removing the rig.

Anyone thinking "hell what about the depreciation" I also purchased another speaker grill from a breakers so if her indoors sanctions a motor upgrade I can remove and restore it back to original.

Quarter wave (or sometimes an end fed AUGHB dependant on how many car parks I use in the week) Panorama aerial on the roof rear and it works very well.
BTW: I always fit body aerials and have never lost anything on part exchange deals because of it.

Steve
G8NRC
Attachments
Img_0518.jpg
Img_0518.jpg (787.46 KiB) Viewed 2210 times

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Re: DMR in my Land Rover Freelander 2

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Smart install looks good.

I think it was yourself that put me onto the panorama UHF Hi Gain aerial

Not got around to final fit of the rig in the truck yet as im still trying to do the base codeplug for it but am planning on putting the "home zone" stuff in and getting it fitted in so I can play with it.

Like you I have a lead made up with a PTT switch on the gear lever and a mic on the roof console ill also keep the hand mic handy for the passenger to use.

Once its in ill try and get some updated photos of the truck I keep forgetting to do them and at this rate ill be on its replacement before I take the pics of this one lol

G8NRC

Postby G8NRC » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 am

Yes I find the Panorama aerials and the M8 base good easy to fit aerials.

I keep the Motorola mic in the glove box for use as ans when but the Visor mic works great for me.

Adding the usb program lead into the accessory plug makes life really easy to reprogram from the laptop especially as DMR repeaters are being added faster than I can program the code plugs ☺

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:08 am

The panorama stuff is really good, like you say it makes it so easy to install body mounts and swap around whats what if needs be too.

When I do the next install there will be 2 redundant mounts going in for future use and the rare occasions that im suddenly given another radio to use for the day when doing events etc or for testing. I am sure I can find a use for them :)

Im just doing some radio related bits out in the play pen, just done the power line ready for the DM4600 to go in the truck, have put a split in with some anderson power poles on so if I ever change the radio out down the line I have a universal connection system so I can move radios about and kit about and not have to worry about plugs being wrong etc.

Iv got my multi use moto lead in the truck im going to go and grab it and going to do the usb side of it while im out there before I stop for some lunch and then ill give it a test on the bench to check it works and go from there.

Hopefully ill be able to sort the feed out for the aerial some time soon and actually get the dam set in and try it out in anger mobile

Return to “The Mobile Shack”