UK DMR+ now an even broader church

This section is for updates about the BrandMeister Network, such as Talk Groups or changes to linking to DSTAR etc
Tone
Call Sign: G7TXU

UK DMR+ now an even broader church

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 am

It is with great ecumenical pleasure that I am able to announce that the UK DMR+ network master server is now able to link to Motorola repeaters in addition to the existing Hytera repeaters and bridges to D-STAR.

This means that we should start hearing a few other repeaters on the network starting with GB7DC Derby GB7WI Winterton and then GB7SC Bognor.

DMR+ is working hard at building an open and inclusive vendor agnostic network which also welcomes connections from DV4mini and similar hotspots.

G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Re: UK DMR+ now an even broader church

Postby G7RVH » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 am

Tone,

Does this mean that the programming of talk groups for these repeaters changes from DMR-MARC to DMR+ ?
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

Tone

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Yes probably, although there may be a few changes to the way DMR+ talkgroups are typically laid out to take account of increased traffic and new technologies.

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin
Call Sign: 2E0SQK

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Tone am reading this two ways and just want to check, at first it seemed that repeaters could apply to be fed through the DMR+ network but apon reading it all again it looks like that repeaters are changing networks to DMR+ from DMR-MARC and this is what I think is more the case off, could you confirm that GB7DC and GB7WI are now DMR+ repeaters and off the DMR-MARC Network all together

If you could confirm for me as it will mean that we have the repeaters listed on the wrong network in our posts here and if they have moved id want to get the lists updated asap so as to avoid confusion from info here

Cheers Tone
Paul

Tone

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:39 pm

As a result of the insistance of MARC on their network, it is not permissable to interoperate the MARC infrastructure with anything which is non Motorola. This means that it must be MotoTRBO and IPSC end to end.
DMR+ has as it's core aims to create bridges between all popular networks and node types.
It is technically possible to use a DR3000 in conjunction with a small server, typically a Raspberry Pi, and then dedicate one time slot on the DMR network, and the other to the open DMR+ network. This is acceptable within the MARC community as there is no bridge between the two systems.
For now, however, the new software developed in Germany has been installed on the Linux DMR+ master server which allows it to deal with IPSC protocol as used by motorola repeaters without having to use Motorola's propriatary IP Site Connect software.
So yes, essentially, any repeaters joining the DMR+ network will have to leave MARC due to the restrictions that levys them under.
At some stage, we maybe can expect top see some DMR repeaters with a foot in each camp but the software is I belive still in beta.
I hope I've got the technical details right there, and I'd be glad to be corrected if not. I'm not myself involved in the network engineering aspect.

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:59 pm

That works for me tech or not pal, I just wanted to make sure of the state of play as I thought it was in my head is actually what it is. Seems ill have some more work cut out for me moving repeaters between groups here and there will make a start on it next week as away for the weekend

G6ENU
Call Sign: G6ENU

Postby G6ENU » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:13 pm

For the benefit of those of us still finding our feet in DMR, does this make any significant difference to how we need to program our radios?
Ian
Camberley
Surrey

sierra_za
Call Sign: ----

Postby sierra_za » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:29 pm

There is a difference in the programming. With DMR Plus it uses Slot 1 for the DMR side and Slot 2 for the D-Star side.

Slot 1 uses TG1 (WW), TG2 (EU), TG3 (USA), TG9 (Local), TG13 (Eng WW) and TG235 (UK Wide) - fairly similar to MARC

Slot 2 uses TG9 (Local), TG9990 (Echo Test) and then the D-Star side.

Check the http://www.gb7rr.co.uk website

Paul-2E0SQK
Site Admin

Postby Paul-2E0SQK » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Ian, yes it will the DMR+ system as posted by sierra_za is setup different to the DMR-MARC setup.

Over the next week or two I will be adding more repeaters in to the lists in the networks section on the forum this is a slow process as I confirm the details for each box and add them in as well as adding new ones in and having limited time to physically sit at the pc at the moment, the changes with repeaters moving networks is also going to throw a spanner in the works for organising them. If you have a flick through the list of repeaters in each network you will be able to see all the relevant info for that box, input, output, any direct dial talk group, linkings etc

Hopefully that will make it a little easier for you when programming the radios

G6ENU
Call Sign: G6ENU

Postby G6ENU » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:22 pm

OK guys, that makes things completely clear, thanks.
Ian
Camberley
Surrey

Return to “BrandMeister Network Updates”