Tytera MD-380 VOX

A Place to ask about the TYT range of radios
G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Tytera MD-380 VOX

Postby G7RVH » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:55 am

Wanting to use the VOX capability of the MD-380 with an external headset. It does work if you 'blow' into the microphone but in anything like a normal speaking voice it does not trigger the PTT. I've tried changing the sensitivity between 1 & 10 in both the CPS and on the radio but the sensitivity does not seem to change.

Anybody else tried using VOX with this radio?
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

radionutjob
Call Sign: non yet

Re: Tytera MD-380 VOX

Postby radionutjob » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Just tried it just out of interest. I attached an external earphone/mike and as you said, it only responded when I either shouted or blew into the microphone at very close range. Just in case it was the external earphone/mike, I took it out and tried it direct with the internal mike. It did the same thing. I increased the sensitivity to 10 as per the manual and it didn't make any difference.

G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Postby G7RVH » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks for carrying out the test and confirming my findings. I hope that TYT have it on their fix list......
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

radionutjob
Call Sign: non yet

Postby radionutjob » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 pm

No problem, I agree. Whether it was working properly from the original firmware version I don't know because mine has the latest firmware. Hopefully it is just a software fix.

I suppose either way, it isn't the biggest of problems as most of radio bands using portable are exempt from the definition of mobile phone so don't fall within the remit of the offence or any other moving vehicle offence so long as it doesn't distract from driving. So still good value for money if people use it whilst roaming.

M0RCX
Call Sign: M0rcx

Postby M0RCX » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Please be cautious with operating non hands free in a vehicle. Although it may not fall into classification of mobile telephone it may well be deemed to be driving without due care and attention as would eating an apple whilst driving.

I have handheld personal radio and van set at work but we are not permitted to use the hand held device even if on a broach mic or harness. Your comment of not doing anything to interfere with your driving would be sound advice.

Drive safe

Robert
M0RCX - Leeds
IO93FS

Return to “TYT”