MD9600 Measurements.

A place to discuss the TYT range of radios
g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

MD9600 Measurements.

Postby g4eml » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Having had my MD-9600 for a few days I decided to write a few reports on my impression so far.
This post is concentrating on some quick tests I did on the RF performance of the radio.

All tests done with a Marconi 2955 test set in FM mode. Not yet had time to check with a spectrum analyser.

Receiver:-
Both 145Mhz and 433 Mhz Sensitivity appears to be very good with almost identical performance. Squelch opens at -124 dBm and closes at -125 dBm. opening the squelch manually in monitor mode shows signals to be just detectable at -130 dBm.

Switching between a 12.5Khz channel and a 25 Khz channel shows the expected change in filter performance and audio levels.

Tests with a VHF frequency on the A band and a UHF frequency on the B band seem to indicate that there are two separate receivers in the radio. The response to a signal on either band appears to be instant with no signs of the scanning delays associated with one receiver alternating between the bands. However as soon as one band receives a signal the other band is inhibited. So it is not possible to listen to a VHF and a UHF transmission at the same time.
Repeating the test with both A and B bands set to UHF frequencies showed clear signs of this being achieved with a single receiver alternating between the frequencies. There was a distinct short fraction of a second random delay before the signal was received.
In practice the difference between the two was not that significant.

Transmitter:-
There are 4 settings for output power. The results obtained with the radio operating on 13.8 Volts were as follows...

145MHz Low-4.3W @ 1.9A Low Mid-8.5W @ 2.4A Mid-16W @ 3.2A High-48W @ 7.5A
433MHz Low-6.0W @ 1.9A Low Mid-11.0W @ 2.4A Mid-23W @ 3.2A High-36W @ 7.5A

This would tend to suggest the nominal power levels are 5/10/25/45.

Frequency accuracy at room temperature was better than 0.5ppm

Max deviation in 12.5Khz setting was 2KHz and at 25Khz was 4Khz.

So overall the RF performance appears to be as it should be.

Return to “TYT”