TYT MD380 scanning/DD TGs

A place to discuss the TYT range of radios
RupertG6HVY
Call Sign: G6HVY

TYT MD380 scanning/DD TGs

Postby RupertG6HVY » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Four days in, I'm really enjoying the DMR experience and the Tytera, and I think I've got the hang of most of the basics. I can reliably, if a bit weakly, get into GB7NS.

I still can't get the thing to scan reliably. It was hopeless when i tried to set up a long scan list, so instead tried the tack of having just two channels in the list, one for each timeslot of my nearest repeater (NS), each with the Group List set to a group with all the TGs in. I then made the first channel (for slot1) autoscan, and made it the first entry in my GB7NS zone. This works better... but it still seems to miss a lot. I'm inferring this from the way the red flashing LED goes green, but with no new channel name on the display and no audio. Often, if I then go through the channels manually, I get to a channel carrying a QSO that should have been picked up by the scan (or I can see it on the cc-3 live monitor). It seems to be worse on TGs on Slot 2, and it's irritatingly not reliably broken enough to properly characterise, but is there anything to be done? It seems as if the rig worked better when I first started to use it - is there a factory reset, somehow?

And what's the best way to set up channels for the Direct Dial TG system? There are too many to put in a single 16 channel zone, but there doesn't seem to be any way to select a channel on the handset unless it's in a zone. So, do I split them across multiple zones? (I did think that the Zone Select option in the Buttons menu didn't work, but it does when the radio's not scanning.)

Otherwise, I'm loving it. It is a bit buggy - it's crashed once and reset itself at random once, but the hardware seems very stable, Be nice fi the firmware got reverse engineered...

Rupert, G6HVY

G7RVH
Call Sign: G7RVH

Re: TYT MD380 scanning/DD TGs

Postby G7RVH » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Rupert, Have a look at this old thread for help on Direct Dial - http://www.dmrusers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=164
Richard
2E1CIR & G7RVH
http://www.g7rvh.com
Norfolk, UK

RupertG6HVY

Postby RupertG6HVY » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks - I didn't know you could do that with the contact list.

The TYT manual is impressively incomprehensible!

R, G6HVY

RupertG6HVY

Postby RupertG6HVY » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Woohoo - just tried it and it worked! That CC-3 live monitor is darned useful...

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Rupert,

You are quite right about the scanning, it doesn't work very well. The CS700 was also very similar when I tried one. That's not too surprising because the firmware is written by the same people. I think the problem is that he radio pauses whenever it sees a signal and then takes a long time to decide if the required Talkgroup is in use or not before it moves on to the next in the scan list. If your scan list has multiple entries for the same repeater, each one with a different Talkgroup then this long pause happens lots of times before it finds the correct Talkgroup.

The solution of just having slot1 and slot2 with large rxgroups should work better as it only has to search twice. However even then it can take a while to detect a signal.

Scanning and other advanced functions are where the low cost radios fall down. It seems like that's what you pay more for with Motorolas and Hyteras. These both scan really well and rarely miss a call. I suspect that this may be because they have dedicated hardware doing the dmr decoding where the cheaper radios do it in software to keep the cost down. They almost certainly have also had a lot more investment in firmware development.

Colin G4EML.

Return to “TYT”