TYT MD-380 - Reception Issue?

A place to discuss the TYT range of radios
yellowspanner
Call Sign: G1ZSE

TYT MD-380 - Reception Issue?

Postby yellowspanner » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Quite often it seems that I'm only hearing one side of a conversation via the repeater. I had put this down to problems with the local repeater, GB7DR, having a dodgy internet connection but yesterday I had the same problem on GB7AA and GB7BS. Any ideas?

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: TYT MD-380 - Reception Issue?

Postby Metradio » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 pm

You need to find someone local and put your radio's side by side and see if they both receive the same traffic.. Did you get the MD-380 from a UK dealer or elswhere??

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:35 am

It sometimes happens that the two stations in a QSO are actually using different Talkgroups but don't realise it. If their radios are set up with a RX group or they have scanning active they will still hear each other. If your radio doesn't have a RX group or scanning set then you will only hear one side of the QSO.

If that's not the cause then it could be down to poor Internet connections. The SWCluster is a simple IPSC network. Every repeater has to be able to send data directly to every other repeater. A poor Internet route between any two repeaters could result in lost audio.

If you have another FM radio you could tune that to the repeater output frequency and monitor the DMR data. That would tell you if the repeater is sending out data that you are not receiving on your MD380.

Colin.

yellowspanner

Postby yellowspanner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. I bought the radio from a UK dealer and then rolled my own code plug so I suspected it may be my inexperience that stopped it working ok. Have only tried it on SW Cluster so far as I have not yet been in range of any other networks. May have to investigate the RX group you mention Colin.

g4eml

Postby g4eml » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 am

It doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong programming your radio. If it is receiving one side of a conversation then it should work for the other side. There is nothing you could do wrong that would prevent it.

Normally a radio will only hear traffic on the same Talkgroup that it is programmed to transmit on. That is usually known as the contact in the programming software. Receive groups allow it to hear other talkgroups that may be using the Timeslot. You could set up a receive group containing all of the possible Talkgroups on a Timeslot.

Colin.

yellowspanner

Postby yellowspanner » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:24 pm

To clarify - if I was to create a group list of every Talk Group I'm aware of being use in the UK and add it it to the contact it will do no harm but may allow me to hear others using different talk group?

g4eml

Postby g4eml » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes, a large receive group can help monitor the activity on a repeater. It can however cause some confusion if you try to reply to the calls you hear. Most radios will reply on the incoming Talkgroup but only for a couple of seconds. Then it will revert to the programmed talkgroup. So it is best to note the Talkgroup that the incoming call is using and switch to that channel before replying.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:17 pm

One of the members on this board is doing this on a Hytera PD365 (phone sized portable) to work around it's lack of memory capacity for Zones and Channels, it works well but does take a bit of thought when replying to calls. If callers fail to state the TG they are calling on are you are a bit slow in replying, you are stuffed at getting back to them.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Return to “TYT”