New MD-380 User - Windows 10

A place to discuss the TYT range of radios
G4NRT
Call Sign: G4NRT

New MD-380 User - Windows 10

Postby G4NRT » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 am

I am a total newbie at DMR notwithstanding that I have been licensed for over thirty years and am an experienced D-Star user HOWEVER none of this has helped in my current predicament!

I have just bought a TYT MD-380 (used but as new). I am using a Microsoft Surface Book running Windows 10 with the latest updates.

I have installed v1.30 (the latest I could find) of the TYT software and I am plugging the original TYT Cable directly into a USB port not he Surface Book - not using a hub. When I plug the cable in I hear a beep telling me that it is connected and if I look in my Device Manager, I see (under USB Controllers) a device called "STM Device in DFU Mode" which appears to be the radio.

However, when I try to READ from the radio I get a pop up which says "Microsoft (Loads of Chinese characters) has stopped working"

I do not know what to try next ... do I need specific Win 10 drivers? Surely someone has this working on Windows 10?

Help!

Thanks,

David G4NRT

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: New MD-380 User - Windows 10

Postby Metradio » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 am

Hi David, I do not have an MD380 but I know that you are correct about the programming lead just being a cable that connects between radio and USB port, and any connection is to the radio directly..
This appears to be a group worth joining:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TYT ... s/messages

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

G4NRT

Postby G4NRT » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks Mike .. I will join for sure!

73, David

paulears
Call Sign: G4RMT

Postby paulears » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:43 am

Don't know your surface book - but many of my programming cables fail on Windows 10, because plugging in the USB cable makes Windows auto load the wrong driver. My 380 will programme on Windows 10, but often requires me to re-install the driver as Windows insists it has a better one - which it doesn;t!

G4NRT

Postby G4NRT » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 pm

I think that that is exactly my problem. Windows 10 sees the transceiver as an "STM Device in DFU Mode: whereas it should be seeing it as a USB radio.

I have tried re-installing the drivers but it just says that I already have the best drivers installed.

SO .. What I need to do is to find a way to force a driver change (and I need the drivers themselves as well) and then I will probably be OK!

Thanks for replying!

David

paulears
Call Sign: G4RMT

Postby paulears » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:01 pm

The driver was the old USB to serial prolific version - but this was troublesome with Windows 7 onwards. The trouble is some cables use counterfeit chips, some real.

Try this linkhttp://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 It won;t hurt to try it. If not, TYT will probably send you one if they ask - they're usually quite helpful. If you Google prolific usb to serial radio driver you will get quite a few returns where windows won't play ball - and there are some youtube videos too.

I actually programme my radios now with an old XP computer for ones where my programming cables are really a problem. The TYT one I have is quite modern - but still a 50/50 chance with Windows 10.

Our callsigns are about the same vintage - with yours being a tad older - so 40 years is closer than 30!
Paul G4RMT

Novice
Call Sign: m6oaf

Postby Novice » Tue May 03, 2016 7:04 am

I do not have a windows 10 device, but there is a new driver on the Retevis website (the RT-3 is a carbon copy of the MD-380) and if you can not make TYT driver work this maybe an option to explore http://www.retevis.com/programming_software.

Best of luck, they are a great radio once programmed.

Ian

Return to “TYT”