New to DMR & TYT

A place to discuss the TYT range of radios
GM4MSH
Call Sign: GM4MSH

New to DMR & TYT

Postby GM4MSH » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:29 pm

I got my firmware issue resolved - thanks to all who chipped in :-)

This may seem daft, but I've created my codeplug, repeaters, contacts, zones, groups, scan-lists the lot.
I have my DMR id number 7 digits beginning 235xxxx.

I power on and i see my zones, but how the heck do I key up to say TG 13.
TG13 is in the contacts, the repeater is assigned the correct color code, TS etc,

But when I key the PTT button I get "beeeeeep" then nothing , (the led flashes red a couple times).
It works fine in simplex & on analogue repeaters, but am I missing something?

I'm totally new to DMR, so is there a TYT dummies guide or video out there on how to make a simple QSO?
I've found programming & people making QSO's but never have I seen a step by step guide to which buttons to press to access say TG13.

And I don't mean the TYT user guide....... :-)

thanks in advance for any pointers

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: New to DMR & TYT

Postby Metradio » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:19 pm

GM4MSH wrote:I got my firmware issue resolved - thanks to all who chipped in :-)

What was the solution?? please let us know then the knowledge can be passed on if the problem happens to anyone else..

Don't take this the wrong way but as your knowledge of DMR is minimal, your best bet is to ask about for a MD-380 codeplug written for use with your local repeater(s), load it up and give it a try. If that codeplug works you can then change the DMR ID to your one..
If the radio still appears to not work with this codeplug it could be because you are out of range of the repeater.
At the moment there is no dummies guide to DMR as it would be like learning to ride a bike from a book :shock:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

GM4MSH

Postby GM4MSH » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks Mike
Good plan, I've just found a local codeplug and will upload that later today and give it a try.
- methinks I've been a bit too "adventurous" in my own endeavors. :-)

For the FW solution, I was sent the original FW for the MD-390 from a TYT techie in the US.
He asked me not to share it, but of course I will anyway.

This weekend I'm going to upload it to a sharing site and will post the link in here.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Postby Metradio » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:02 pm

GM4MSH wrote:....For the FW solution, I was sent the original FW for the MD-390 from a TYT techie in the US.
This weekend I'm going to upload it to a sharing site and will post the link in here.

Possibly not a good idea to share it, the guy might have good reason to ask that, if he finds out don't count on him for help next time...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPYonARD
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Tyrbiter
Call Sign: G8SEZ

Postby Tyrbiter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Metradio wrote:
GM4MSH wrote:....For the FW solution, I was sent the original FW for the MD-390 from a TYT techie in the US.

Possibly not a good idea to share it, the guy might have good reason to ask that, if he finds out don't count on him for help next time...

Mike

Have to agree, the only reason anyone needs this firmware is if they did what the OP did and accidentally overwrote it, any new MD-390 will have the correct version in it anyway as there is as yet no newer one.
Brian

Tyrbiter
Call Sign: G8SEZ

Postby Tyrbiter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:22 pm

In order to get the TG configured as part of a zone then it needs to be selected as the TG in the channel using the Contact drop down. So you need to include Talkgroups as contacts. They are essentially the same as the ID you have registered which is why they are stored as Contacts.

The Tytera radios can store 1000 contacts so you need to reserve enough of these for TGs if you want to add User IDs with callsigns and names into your radio.

When DMR says channel, that means the whole combination of frequencies, CC, TS etc, it doesn't just mean the frequency.

Does that help? It makes the channels a little wasteful in that you need to create a new one for every TG on the repeater if that's what you need.
Brian

GM4MSH

Postby GM4MSH » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

All
Again thanks for the help and input - especially Mike & Brian (plus the others who mailed me directly)
I had a think and although the TYT techie guy asked me not to share it in the wild, I found someone else out there is sharing the same FW in Spain, so no harm in uploading it myself I think, and ........... boys being boys :-)

So..... I uploaded the FW that I got from the TYT guy here: https://goo.gl/gWxkns

I do urge a cautionary note that this is a MD-390 Firmware and not supposed to be MD-380 compatible (dunno why).
It solved my issue and the same issue for someone else I know.

And in case anyone is interested, I asked a YouTube channel to upload a quick dummies guide to the TYT (ok I'm the dummy) :-) and he's posted it today here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZJNG_20oE

cheers & 73s
Last edited by GM4MSH on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GM4MSH

Postby GM4MSH » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:02 pm

........... just to add a little more info........

to those who helped with codeplug advice etc and who are maybe waiting and wondering with bated breath........did it work etc?

I made my first DMR QSO on friday night/saturday early am with: 1st Jason N3RJC in USA (PA) quickly followed by Bob M0RAW in Dartford. both made from the French Alps using a Swiss DMR repeater.
thanks to both (if you're here) and to say I was "chuffed" was an understatement:

Slowly and surely, I'm now "codeplugging" away with different Zones from Glasgow down to the Alps, (HB & FR), as well as LX & ON etc for the route up and down. let's see how it goes :-)
- anyone taking bets on me messing it up ? :P

cheers & 73

Return to “TYT”