Just a little confused help please!!!!

Information about the Salop Network
GB7GT - GB7BX - GB7OZ - GB7BJ - GB7HM
m0gsx
Call Sign: m0gsx

Just a little confused help please!!!!

Postby m0gsx » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi to all, very new to this haven't even got me hands on a radio yet.

Got my ID and created a sort of Midlands codeplug with the Salops in.
I've ordered an MD 380 and hoping that I can access from my home location of Rowley Regis - possibly with the hand held antenna (Hoping I can anyway - would like advice here on range - I'm about 500 feet Above.Sea.Level) but have a collinear on the chimney.

My question is :- Are the Pheonix and Dmr - marc networks one and the same thing ? - I've programmed the different Contacts/Talk groups and Time slots into the software, but not sure if I can access Great Barr and Brum in the same way as I can access BX, because of being on a different network I THINK ???- as said not got the radio yet, but would like a little clarification on this.

I've also programmed scans in - can the radio scan Analogue and Digital within the same scan.

Thanks very much - Paul M0GSX

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Re: Just a little confused help please!!!!

Postby g4eml » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

Hi Paul,

The range you can expect is the same as from an FM radio. Have a listen on the DMR repeaters frequency with an FM radio. If you can hear it then you should be able to work it. DMR does give clearer speech at low signal levels but the ultimate sensitivity of the radios is the same as FM.

Phoenix is not DMR-MARC, however it is connected to DMR-MARC to provide the international connections.

The MD380 can scan a mixture of analogue and digital channels.

73 Colin G4EML

CW-2E0UCW
Call Sign: 2E0UCW

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Baofeng UV-5R , Motorola DM4600 , Moonraker HT-500D , TYT MD-9600 , Ailunce HD1 , Anytone AT-D868UV , Retevis RT8 , DV Mega Bluestack (Pi-Star)
Local repeaters GB7CT , GB7WL , GB7HR , GB7NS , GB7GF and GB7BK
Admin : http://www.dmr-uk.net

m0gsx

Postby m0gsx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Colin, Chris, Thanks very much, still got a lot to learn - I'm having problems with the receive side of things - where i live due East of my QTH, I have a large hill which is around 400 feet to the top from my location, to get into GB7FW, I have to get over the top of this hill as its line of sight to the repeater, I've checked on the live monitor and am getting around -110 and -105 RSSI into the repeater with 0% losses transmitting into the repeater - so the transmit seems to be good - not the best - but with no losses it should be ok. My setup is an MD380 connected to an external x30 around 15 feet high fed with 213 and a little rg58 patch lead as to not put a strain on the antenna connector on the radio- my reception of the repeater is very patchy with long spells of drop outs and sometimes I can access and others no access at all depending on times of day and weather conditions.

My question is - am I expecting too much from a nominal 5W Chinese handie with my current antenna - Due West I have a really good take off and can access Wolverhampton (GB7BX) and Ludlow(GB7GT) on low power with great results - no losses or drops of audio and no packet loss at all.

Not sure whether to try a 9 - 11 element beam pointing directly at the repeater for a better gain, but am a little puzzled as when I can access GB7FW - my TX seems strong enough because showing 0% loss of signal - its just the Rx side of things I'm a little puzzled at!!

Thanks again Guys and regards Paul. M0GSX 73.

CW-2E0UCW
Call Sign: 2E0UCW

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:36 am

I don't think it's so much to do with being a "Chinese Handy" but more so "what is between you and the repeater".

Take my situation
* GB7HR (Heathrow) is 1.8 miles south
* GB3HR (Harrow) is 9 miles north east
* GB7WL (Amersham) is 11 miles north

Rx is no issue using a handheld in my garden but I get the best Tx into GB7WL due to it's location and height.
Baofeng UV-5R , Motorola DM4600 , Moonraker HT-500D , TYT MD-9600 , Ailunce HD1 , Anytone AT-D868UV , Retevis RT8 , DV Mega Bluestack (Pi-Star)
Local repeaters GB7CT , GB7WL , GB7HR , GB7NS , GB7GF and GB7BK
Admin : http://www.dmr-uk.net

g4eml
Call Sign: G4EML

Postby g4eml » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 am

Paul,

Because the transmit and receive frequencies are different a good signal in one direction is no guarantee of a good signal in the other. This is especially true when the signal path is obstructed. Your antenna will have different characteristics on the two frequencies and the pattern of peaks and nulls from multipath signals will be different. On 70cm it is quite possible to go from a good signal to no signal by moving only a few inches.

If it is possible you may find that moving your antenna slightly or using a different antenna will change the situation.

Colin G4EML.

m0gsx

Postby m0gsx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 am

Guys, many thanks again, I think i've sorted it now. I've made a 5 ele beam and mounted it just under the base of the collinear-about 12 feet off the ground and its working much better than the collinear, the rx now is spot on and I can access the repeater on low power from the handie, the rssi is around the same as the collinear. Operating and testing shows that the signal is relatively low into the repeater but showing very little loss.
Thanks again for the advice, the bonus is I can still access 2 other repeaters off the back of the beam with similar signal strength to the collinear which surprised me a little.
Paul.

Return to “Salop Network”